By Carroll Pursell
- 22 unique essays via specialist students conceal crucial positive aspects of yankee know-how, together with advancements in cars, tv, and computing
- Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are equipped, equivalent to within the engineering career, executive, medication and agriculture
- Includes discussions of ways applied sciences have interaction with race, gender, classification, and different organizing buildings in American society
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best history of technology & engineering books
The us registered extraordinary fiscal progress among the institution of the hot republic and the tip of the Civil conflict. Ross Thomson's clean learn bills for the remarkable technological ideas that helped propel antebellum development. Thomson argues that the transition of the USA from an agrarian economic system in 1790 to an commercial chief in 1865 relied essentially at the unfold of technological wisdom inside of and throughout industries.
The heritage of contemporary paintings is frequently advised via aesthetic breakthroughs that sync good with profound cultural and political swap. Monet’s riotous landscapes, Picasso’s fractured kinds, Pollock’s insolent splatters, Warhol’s proliferating soup cansthese examples tune with the disruptions of industrialization, fascism, revolution, and conflict, between different affects.
Technological know-how and know-how stories (STS) is a comparatively younger yet influential box. students from disciplines as various as city reviews, mobility experiences, media reports, and physique tradition reviews are undertaking a scientific discussion with STS, trying to increase their very own investigations. inside STS, the Social development of expertise (SCOT) thought has proved to be the most influential in its neighboring fields.
On the flip of the 20th century, electrical energy emerged as a metaphor for modernity. Writers from Mark Twain to Ralph Ellison grappled with the assumption of electrical energy as either existence strength (illumination) and loss of life spark (electrocution). the concept that electrification created solely sleek studies took carry of usa citizens' imaginations, whether or not they welcomed or feared its adoption.
- Spies in the Sky: Surveillance Satellites in War and Peace (Springer Praxis Books)
- Treadwell Gold: An Alaska Saga of Riches and Ruin
- The History of Blood Transfusion in Sub-Saharan Africa (Perspectives on Global Health)
- Filipino American Faith in Action: Immigration, Religion, and Civic Engagement
- De l'orangerie au palais de cristal, une histoire des serres (French Edition)
- How Users Matter: The Co-Construction of Users and Technology (Inside Technology)
Additional info for A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Carroll Pursell